As we move into 2020, the first phase of 5G technology will enable next generation architecture and fortify the fixed wireless broadband market. 5G will enhance high-speed wireless broadband access and influence how devices interconnect.
5G enables millimeter wave (high frequency) architectures, which will increase wireless data capacity and speed. This will enable media-rich, next generation edge applications – both with fixed and mobile broadband applications. Since mmWave propagates over smaller distances compared to sub 6GHz, operators will have to adopt a denser deployment model to get the higher data capacity.
As 5G progressively becomes available, there are three main functions that it will accelerate:
1. Incorporate fixed wireless broadband as a key application in both licensed and lightly licensed/unlicensed frequency bands.
Starting with broadband access applications to connect people, this evolution expands the usage of high-speed fixed wireless broadband all over the world by providing efficient connectivity to places and things – both in homes and enterprises.
2. Enable millimeter wave spectrum usage
Millimeter-wave spectrum such as 28 GHz and 60 GHz frequencies will allow high-speed edge connectivity with meshing capabilities. These frequencies allow significantly more data to travel at significantly higher speeds.
3. Support machine-to-machine real-time communications
All IIOT standards across the world have a chance to be unified with 5G machine-to-machine real-time communications standards. 5G connectivity will drive progress throughout the entire IIOT arena.
Cambium Networks’ solutions are known for their ease of deployment, management and superb scalability. Here are some real-world examples showcasing the overall effortlessness of working with Cambium Networks’ solutions:
- Ease of configuration – With zero-touch installation, Webformix was able to preconfigure 60 APs within five hours. Webformix also used the cnMaestro™ management system to verify the wiring and configuration settings prior to cutover.
- Ease of deployment – Rural elementary schools and public spaces in Guanajuato, Mexico use a combination of the PMP 450i platform and cnPilot™ e500 Access Points (AP) for Wi-Fi. With an average deployment time of one day per site, the Guanajuato region quickly delivers connectivity to those who need it most.
- Ease of management – For 39 schools in France, the cloud-based Cambium Networks cnMaestro controller simplifies supervision of the network. Each AP is also equipped with a power switch to turn it off when the network is not in use.
- Scalability for growth – In Italy, service provider EOLO uses the PMP 450m with cnMedusa™ Massive MU-MIMO technology to succeed as a leading regional service provider with an all wireless network. Listen to their story about connecting business and residential subscribers here.
As Cambium Networks adopts 5G millimeter wave architectures, it will be easily managed through a single pane of glass. cnMaestro™, our cloud-based wireless network management system, simplifies device management to meet the needs of both residential and business customers.
Our goal is to meet the needs of network operators and demystify complex technologies. We will carry the same ease of use, core values and levels of commitment to our customers with us as 5G expands the fixed wireless broadband market.