In the recent past, 802.16-based wireless products were “the next big thing.” However, this protocol and the radio technology that supported it has withered in both availability and performance. Chipset manufacturers have moved on to other platforms, and Cambium Networks has focused our efforts on producing industry leading solutions based on our extremely flexible software-based architecture. This architecture was built from the ground up to support fixed outdoor wireless access, and is uniquely positioned in the market to provide the utmost scalability and reliability in unlicensed and lightly licensed spectrum including 5 GHz, 2.4 GHz, 3.5 GHz and 3.65 GHz bands.
There are many advantages to migrating from WiMAX to the PMP 450 platform in 3.65 GHz. While sharing common software, management interface and features to other Cambium PMP products, the PMP 450 at 3 GHz can now co-locate with PMP 320 in a much less intrusive way (via GPS synchronization) allowing this migration to occur with much less disruption to the network. With the release of 13.3 software, this has never been easier to do.
To summarize the list below, in nearly every performance category the PMP 450 will outperform PMP 320 (or any 802.16e-based product):
- Throughput – WiMAX can provide a maximum of about 40 Mbps of sector capacity, while PMP 450 has the option for 20 MHz channels, resulting in over 125 Mbps per sector
- Latency – WiMAX products have latencies that start at 40-60ms and grow as subscribers are loaded onto the sector. PMP 450 remains low and consistent with loading (in the 10-15ms range even under heavy load)
- Modulation modes – WiMAX supports 64-QAM as its highest modulation, while PMP 450 supports 256-QAM allowing for higher overall capacity
- Duty cycle flexibility – WiMAX only allowed 75% DL maximum while PMP 450 allows customized duty cycle from 15% to 85% downlink by 1% increments
- Spectral Efficiency – PMP 320 allowed frequency re-use, but required some guard band between adjacent sectors while PMP 450 does not require guard bands
The time to move to PMP 450 is now! Find out more about our “WiMAX Trade-in Program” and start your network upgrade today.